Thursday, November 19, 2009

Dakhanmari (닭한마리)

Location:  Dongdaemun, South Korea
Category: Chicken, Korean
Price: $
Food: A
Atmosphere: B
Service: B
Overall: A
Review: I realized when I posted my last post that I completely missed the month of October in my posts!  Apologies for that my two followers as of now, I will try to update the blog more regularly.  Since I have missed a lot of time on the blogging, I do have a few restaurants to update on since then however.  The next place is Dakhanmari.  The place with the pictures has unfortunately, burned down since I took these pictures, but they have set up shot around the corner from their old place, and it tastes just the same, so this blog is still somewhat relevant:


Dakhanmari is the perfect dish for a cold winter day, or cure for a nasty cold.  One whole chicken boiled in front of you in a pot of steaming hot chicken broth, it is one of the tastiest finds I've had during my stay in Korea.  Even more important than the broth and tender bits of chicken meat is the sauce.  Preparation is key:


Somehow, this particular dakhanmari place has the best ingredients.  I swear the soy sauce isn't exactly normal soy sauce, and the mustard and hot kochujang is not normal hot kochujang either....You see in the picture to the left that there is a nice serving of mochi (dduk) and gizzard served on a plate.  You put that in before the chicken is served since it's cooked in no time flat and is a great little appetizer before eating the main chicken dish.  For new guests, I usually prepare the sauce for them, since it can be a little confusing what the correct portions are for the sauce.  The finished product looks something like this:

I personally like a lot of buchu in my sauce, and for it to be a bit on the spicier side.  You then dip the dduk, gizzard, and chicken into this sauce for the full effect of dakhanmari

After the chicken is cut and boiled (the waitress will cut the chicken for you with an incredibly versatile pair of scissors), you then dip it in the sauce and it is super super yummy

Contact information as I mentioned is not exactly the same anymore because this particular place burned down, but if you go to this location and go around the corner, you will find the new shop opened up.  There is a sign posted on their original store front as well with the location of the new shop.  I believe the phone number still works however:








1 comment:

  1. I miss Dakhanmari in Seoul. I've tried 2 shops and they all use the same namecard!

    Anyway, the first shop that I came to (round the corner) has a friendlier lady boss owner than the one mentioned on my blog here: http://life-bite.blogspot.com/2011/04/dak-hanmari-must-eat-chicken-meal-in.html

    I'll strongly recommend the 1st shop instead. ;)

    ReplyDelete